Friday 9 June 2017

My embarrassing childhood memory

My parents and I were shopping at mart. I was around 5 years old at that time. I was extremely shy, and I hated meeting new people, so I often stayed close to my parents.
I had a lollipop in my left hand and I was walking around happily, my right holding my father’s.
The store was very crowded. As we struggled to find a place to checkout, we ended up mushing into a large crowd of people. In result, I dropped my lollipop on the floor, and I let go of my father’s hands in my attempt to search for it.
In the crowd of people, it was inevitable that I'd get separated from my parents. I looked around, and skated through the small crevices between the mob of people.
Let me also note that I was a very small child. 6 year olds in general aren't that tall, but I was very much below the average height. I was struggling to decipher who was my father and whom was not, thus looking at faces was certainly not an option.
I searched for a familiar hand — my father’s. Relieved, I found one that looked just like his, and I was almost certain that it was my father’s.
Being my ignorant 5 years old self, I grabbed the hand without clarifying who it was. After a second or two, I finally looked up to make sure it was my father.
It was not my father.
I yelped, quickly letting go of the mysterious, yet familiar hand. I turned the direction opposite of where I was initially headed.
I looked everywhere for my parents and soon enough I found myself hiding behind one of those small racks they have holding little packs of gum and candies because I was so traumatized and embarrassed at the same time.
I cried behind that little rack for what seemed like around half an hour. Turns out my parents were frantically looking for me and called over groups of mart workers to search for me.
still get embarrassed whenever I think about it…

No comments:

Post a Comment